University of Arizona Tucson, AZ
Graduate Research Assistant, PhD 2015-present
Graduate research assistant pursuing a PhD affiliated with Geosciences and Tree Ring Laboratory departments at the University of Arizona. Research areas include paleoclimate, paleotempestology, dendrochronology, and global change.
Current project: Reconstructing Holocene temperatures for the northeastern United States using a novel paleoclimate archive from living and subfossil Atlantic white cedar
Advisor: Dr. Kevin Anchukaitis
Geoscientist in the Park Tucson, AZ
Guest Scientist, Saguaro National Park May 2018 – present
Project combines a geologic field study with analysis of springs in Saguaro National Park (SNP) to determine the relationship between the structural geology of SNP and water associated with bedrock fractures that provide water to springs.
University of Arizona Sky School Tucson, AZ
Instructor 2017- present
Lead and mentor groups of K-12 students on 1-4 day programs on ecology, geology, dendrochronology, soil science, hydrology, astronomy, culture and history in the sky islands region
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution/ MIT Woods Hole, MA
Graduate Student, PhD 2014- present
Joint program student in marine geology and geophysics, associated with both Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. Transferred with Past Landscapes Lab to University of Arizona in 2015. Currently a guest student in the Coastal Research Lab headed by Dr. Jeff Donnelly
NatureBridge, Southern California Thousand Oaks, CA
Field Science Educator 2014
Lead students through multi-day, hands-on, experiential scientific and environmental learning experiences in outdoor settings. Managed safety and created scientific programs applicable for middle and high school aged students in National Parks.
George Melendez Wright Scholar Calabasas, CA
Santa Monica Mountains Fellow 2013
Developed projects, research and worked on issues related to climate change and its effects in national parks. Focus on plant phenology and fire ecology research, and environmental education for general public. Communication of science to National Park Visitors
Student Conservation Association NH, GA, CA
National Crew Leader 2013
Lead, motivated, inspired and guided High School Conservation crews in parks, forests and refuges across the US, while supporting land management agencies (the National Park Service, USDA Forest Service, BLM etc). Environmental education, leadership development and stewardship were prioritized
Environmental Protection Agency Boston, MA
Emergency Planning and Response Branch Assistant Officer and EPA SCEP (Student Career Experience Program) student. Field Work, site evaluation, technical data entry and writing, records management and administrative support.
Tufts University Office of Sustainability Medford, MA
Eco-Rep Coordinator 2011-2013
Coordinator for the Eco-Reps program at Tufts University: Management and mentoring of the Eco-Reps, promotion and organization of environmentally focused University programs, grant writing, hiring, budget writing, lesson plans and outreach
IN PREP/SUBMITTED PUBLICATIONS
Minor, J., Colella, T.R., Barnes, M.L., Pearl, J.K., Murphy, P., Barron-Gafford, G.A. “Critical Zone Science in the Anthropocene: Opportunities for Biogeographic and Ecological Theory and Praxis to Drive Earth Science Integration” – in prep, Progress in Physical Geography
Alexander, M. R., Pearl, J. K. Bishop, D. A., Cook, E.R, Anchukaitis, K., Pederson, N. “A multi-species approach to strengthen temperature reconstructions in a limited tree line ecoregion” – in prep, Journal of Quaternary Science
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- Amoroso, M., Speer, J. Daniels, L. D., Villalba, R., Cook, E.R., Stahle, D., Srur, A., Tardif, J., Conciatori, F., Aciar, E., Arco, J., Bonada, A., Coulthard, B., Haney, J., Isaac-Rentron, M., Magalhães, J., Marcotti, E., Meglioli, P., Sol Montepeluso, M., Oelkers, R., Pearl, J., Pompa Garcia, M., Robson, J., Rodriguez Catón, M., Soto, P., Young, A. “South American Dendroecological Fieldweek 2016: Exploring Dendrochronological Research In Northern Patagonia” – Tree-Ring Research, 74(1), doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3959/1536-1098-74.1.120, 2018.
- Pearl, J., K. Anchukaitis, N. Pederson, J. Donnelly. “Reconstructing Northeastern United States temperature using Atlantic white cedar tree-ring width”– Environmental Research Letters, 12, 114012, doi: 10.1088/1748-9326/aa8f1b, 2017.
- Pearl, J., K. Anchukaitis, N. Pederson, J. Donnelly. “Paleoclimate reconstructions of the northeastern United States using Atlantic white cedar tree-rings”. World Dendro Conference, June 9-15 2018, Thimphu, Bhutan
- Pearl, J., K. Anchukaitis, N. Pederson, J. Donnelly. “Paleoclimate reconstructions of the northeastern United States using Atlantic white cedar tree-rings”. University of Arizona “GeoDaze” Geosciences Symposium. April 12-13, 2018. Tucson, AZ**Winner: Best Overall Graduate Student presentation
- Pearl, J., K. Anchukaitis, J. Donnelly, N. Pederson. “’Ghost Forest Stories: how ancient coastal trees tell us about shoreline change and past hurricanes”. University of Arizona School of Earth and Environmental Sciences “EarthWeek”, April 10-13 2018, Tucson, AZ **Invited Plenary Speaker
- Pearl, J., K. Anchukaitis, J. Donnelly, N. Pederson. “Dendroclimate evidence for extreme hydrologic events over the late Holocene in the Northeastern United States”. American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, December 11-15 2017, New Orleans, LA
- Alexander, R., Pederson, N., Bishop, D., Pearl, J., Anchukaitis, K. “Hide and go seek with temperature signals of Northeastern US Tree Species” American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, December 11-15 2017, New Orleans, LA
- Pearl, J., K. Anchukaitis, N. Pederson, J. Donnelly, and D. Bishop. “Common Era climate reconstructions from the northeastern United States”. Past Global Changes Open Science Meeting and Youth Science Meeting. May 7-13, 2017. Zaragoza, Spain ** Peer Choice Poster Prize
- Pearl, J., K. Anchukaitis, N. Pederson, J. Donnelly. “Paleoclimate reconstructions from the northeastern United States using tree-rings” University of Arizona “GeoDaze” Geosciences Symposium. March 30-April 1. Tucson, AZ **Section Winner: Best Oral Presentation
- Minor, J., Colella, T., Barnes, M., Mann, S., Murphy, P., Pearl, J., and Barron-Gafford, G. “Biogeography and Critical Zone Science in the Anthropocene”. Symposium on Physical Geography: Challenges of the “Anthropocene.” 8th Biennial Conference of the International Biogeography Society. January 9-13, Tucson, AZ.
- Pearl, J., K. Anchukaitis, N. Pederson, and J. Donnelly. “Paleoclimate Signals and Temperature Reconstructions for the Northeastern United States using Atlantic White Cedar Tree-Rings”. American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, December 12-16 2016, San Francisco, CA.
- Pearl, J., K. Anchukaitis, N. Pederson, D. Bishop, and J. Donnelly. “Climate controls on the annual growth rings in Atlantic White cedar”. Atlantic White Cedar Symposium, May 24-26, 2016, Plymouth, MA.
- Colella, T., Mann, S., Murphy, P., Barron-Gafford, G., Minor, J., Pearl, J., and Barnes, M. “Critical Zone Science in the Anthropocene.” Symposium on Physical Geography: Challenges of the “Anthropocene.” Annual Conference of the Association of American Geographers. March 29-April 2, 2016, San Francisco, CA.
- Pearl, J., Anchukaitis, K., Pederson, N., and Donnelly, J. “Dendroclimatology of coastal Atlantic White cedar in the northeastern United States.” American Dendrochronology Conference, March 28- April 1, 2016, Mendoza, Argentina** Student Poster Honorable Mention
- Lombardi, R., Clement, W., Polloni, P., and Pearl, J. “Using Ground-Penetrating Radar to Map Buried Trunks of Prostrate-Growing Eastern Red Cedar Trees on Coskata/Coatue Wildlife Refuge.” Nantucket Biodiversity Conference, November 13-15, 2015, Nantucket, MA
University of Arizona Tucson, AZ
Graduate Research Assistant, PhD student, 2015-2019 (expected)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology & Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Cambridge, MA & Woods Hole, MA
Graduate Student: Marine Geology & Geophysics, 2014 -2015
Guest Student, 2015-2019 (expected)
Tufts University Medford, MA
2013 B.S. Geology cum laude
2013 B.S. Environmental Science cum laude
2016 University of Arizona Carson Scholar Fellowship (2016)
M.I.T. Diversity Fellowship (2014-2015)
Climate Change Youth Initiative, George Melendez Wright Fellowship for climate change research (2013)
University of Arizona Awards
Wilson Thompson Graduate Scholarship for students interested in environmental studies (2018)
Herbert E. Carter Travel Award (2018)
Graduate & Professional Student Council Travel Grant (2017, 2018)
Chernoff Family Scholarship (2017)
Galileo Circle Scholar (inducted 2017)
Achievement Rewards for College Scientists, Department of Geosciences Nominee (2017)
Tufts University Awards
Nancy W. Anderson Award for Environmental Sustainability (2013)
Dean’s List (2009-2013)
Evelyn Black Scholarship Award (2009- 2013)
Honos Civicus Member for exemplary work as an Active Citizen (2013)
Acadia University Awards
University of Canterbury Excellence Award (2012)
Certified Wilderness First Responder (Refreshed June 2016)
Certified in CPR/AED (Refreshed June 2016)
Reviewer for Global and Planetary Change
Reviewer for Dendrochronologia